YOU KNOW WHAT ERKS ME

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

According to a loser, I need a warning label

Here is a snippit of the article found here
"A leading professor in the U.K. said that obese people should be warned about the health risks of their weight when buying clothes, according to The Daily Mail.
Naveed Sattar, professor of metabolic medicine at the University of Glasgow, said that oversized clothing should have obesity help line numbers sewn on them to try to reduce Britain's obesity crisis.
The professor made the recommendations in this week's issue of the British Medical Journal."
Sir George Albert, the U.K.'s national director for emergency care, joined other health professionals in their recommendations. He wants the government to take a more proactive response to obesity.
The suggestion would be to put the label on all clothes with waist sizes over 37 inches for boys or 31 inches for girls. Women's clothes over size 16 would also get a label. "
This asshole thinks that there should be political intervention on obesity. Yes, this is only for the UK, but if they do it, who is to follow. I couldn't imagine going to the store and buying a pair of jeans with a little reminder basically saying "hey fatty...you know you could lose a little!"

Well duh, does that jerk think I want to be overweight. Not everyone makes the choice. While there are things that I could do to lose weight, that is my choice, not the choice of some loser that knows nothing about losing weight after child birth. What about those that are seriously depressed over thier weight? Does he think that a label is going to change that? It won't. I doubt that any company in thier right mind would volontarily put this label on clothing, but if it is mandatory??? I know that we want to send a message to our children that healthy is good, but what about the message to love who you are. There are some medical reasons for obesity as well. Now he wants to stick a label to let you know that society says you are fat. If they get away with that, I wonder what would be next.

Thoughts?

19 comments:

Nicole said...

This sounds soooo stupid. What's next...

I guess there will always be ways for people to be racist, hey?

Nicole said...

Looks like you removed your flicker badge...I never have my volume on, so it never bothered moi! :)

EJL said...

no so much a racist, but still discriminatory.

Nicole said...

Maybe not really racism, but certainly prejudice. It all goes hand in hand though..when intolerence is taught and learned, it gets easier and easier to treat others badly.

counter-coulter said...

Reminds me once of being in a gas station convenience store and I purchased a soda and a Slim Jim (I had a salted meat craving OK). When I went to pay for it, the clerk behind the counter made a little comment about my purchase. I didn't say anything at the time, but later I thought 'who the f**k are you to give me nutrition advice? Especially about things that you sell in your store!'.

I think something similar could be said here. Who becomes the arbiter of what's an 'acceptable' weight, or what's 'acceptable' food? Is there a point where those who make different life choices (if there is a choice being made) are to be shunned and ridiculed?

EJL said...

Thats what I am saying. RWA had a post a bit back I think about them eliminating trans fat in New York...which means no more crispy creams....what's up with that

Nicole said...

(I had a salted meat craving OK).


alrighty then...guess I don't feel all that badly about the blue tongue episode, now that C.C. has publicly admitted how SALTY MEAT gets his mouth a-watering.... :)

EJL said...

OH SHIT... I just got that!

counter-coulter said...

Nicole said...
C.C. has publicly admitted how SALTY MEAT gets his mouth a-watering.... :)


Nicole's Mind = Gutter. I was merely stating that I occasionally get a junk food craving which may (at times) include heavily salted meat products. Good thing I didn't buy a smoked meat log, huh? :)

As to Ellie's post, I would equate it to going in to a Krispy Kreme only to have the cashier ridicule you for buying their doughnuts. I'm very much a believer in people's right to personal choice, even unhealthy ones. The only exception would probably be public smoking; no ones going to cirrhosis of the liver by me drinking next to them at a bar.

EJL said...

Nicole said...
C.C. has publicly admitted how SALTY MEAT gets his mouth a-watering.... :)

HAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHHAHHAAHAHAHHA

Okay I got that out.
I am for the smoking ban in restraunts. I don't care one way or another about a bar. But I don't want someone blowing smoke in my kids face.
You should read my post about that cc. That generated alot of um..'comments'

I will find it...somehow my archives got deleted..hmmm

EJL said...

http://youknowwhaterksme.blogspot.com/2006/05/you-know-what-erks-mecigarettes.html


click and paste the link for my cigarette post.

Nicole said...

Nicole's Mind = Gutter


What's that saying..."Birds of a feather BABY"!!!!

and I was referring to the salted meat you were talking about..also called Hot Rods...as tasty as they are unhealthy. So who has the gutter mind now??? hmmm What were YOU meaning??? :-D

I can't speak for the rest of Canada, but here in Sk we have a smoking ban which I happen to fully support and endorse. That means it is against the law to smoke in public facilities. PERIOD. It is great! I am in totally agreement...when I am sipping on a fufu drink and nibbling on wings every Wed. it is VERY pleasant to not have second hand smoke pollute my lungs. Attending Rider games has alos gotten more enjoyable as 2nd hand smoke doesn't drift down in a disgusting haze.

EJL said...

I am going to throw up...salty meat is nasty, in my mouth.

But man do I love a slim jim

Nicole said...

salty meat is nasty, in my mouth.


ok, I am starting to think that maybe we are ALL not on the same page so to speak.

you love a slim jim...but salty meat is nasty in your mouth...so El, exactly WHERE do you prefer your slim jim???

Woozie said...

I actually go to bars quite a bit (not to drink) but just because they're fun places. It's almost exclusively during the day, so the smokers aren't...er "weren't" that much of a problem.

I've got my own weight problems. I know I'm fat, and I don't need a sticker ironically made by starving kids in Bangladesh to remind me. My belly does that just fine, thank you very much.

EJL said...

They let you into bars?...

Woozie said...

Well not alone. An adult, usually my brother, is there with me/us.

Anonymous said...

The clicking thing is rather annoying.

Southern (in)Sanity said...

Besides the fact that is borders on discrimination, I think this guy needs to get a life and worry about real issues.